RSS Feed for Financial Planning
Note: Content for this RSS feed is provided as a text alternative to inline RSS feeds that may not display on all browsers.
Financial Planning News RSS
- Toxic Inheritance: When a Clients Property is Contaminated
published on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 02:43:00 EDT
An estate-planning process that asks about contaminated property can save heirs from unpleasant surprises.
- UBS, Favored by Bank Investors, Hits Snag in Wealth Expansion
published on Sun, 24 Apr 2016 16:04:00 EDT
The wirehouse may be headed for a third straight disappointing quarter in wealth management, its biggest division.
- Fiduciary Rule Highly Manageable, Says SunTrust's CEO
published on Sun, 24 Apr 2016 16:25:00 EDT
Rogers described any potential impact of the new rule as marginal and noted that it might also offer opportunity.
- RIA Growth Strategies That Protect What You've Already Got
published on Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:10:00 EDT
Hiring and acquisition misfires can set you back. Here's what RIA leaders say you can do to avoid their mistakes.
- Can an Annuity Act as a Pension Plan: Retirement Scan
published on Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:55:00 EDT
Clients may consider annuitizing a portion of their retirement savings to guarantee an income stream in retirement; plus, how retirees should assess their liquid assets.
- Trust, Brokerage Revenue Tumbles at SunTrust
published on Fri, 22 Apr 2016 15:31:00 EDT
The weak performance was due to challenging market conditions, which reduced assets under management and client activity, the bank's CFO said.
- Fiduciary Rule May Spur New Industry Consolidation
published on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:30:00 EDT
Raymond James CEO Paul Reilly says firms face higher compliance costs under the rule.
- How to Undo a Social Security Claiming Decision: Retirement Scan
published on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 16:35:00 EDT
Retirees may withdraw their application within 12 months of receiving their first monthly Social Security check; plus, three ways to be smarter about drawing retirement income.
- Best Ways to Deduct Investment Manager Fees: Tax Strategy Scan
published on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 17:34:00 EDT
Deducting management fees to lower your clients' taxes. Plus, the benefits of Roth IRAs and muni bonds.
- No, Robos Still Can't Act as Fiduciaries, Attorney Contends
published on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 17:34:00 EDT
A recent FINRA report actually bolsters arguments against investors using automated advice, according to the author of an agenda-setting study on digital advice and investment law.
- SEC Warns More Cyber Enforcement Actions Coming
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 14:17:00 EDT
Firms' cyber defenses are in SEC's crosshairs, and the commission is looking to tap an outside group to help police the RIA sector.
- United Capital Places 'Finlife' Approach in Digital Platform
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 11:17:00 EDT
It is the latest entry into a market which has seen several platforms launches as well as partnerships to provide advisors with tech tools.
- Role Playing Helps Prepare the Rookies: Advisor Q&A
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 09:59:00 EDT
Industry veteran Bob Carr on how to approach advisor training (and how the old days weren't always so good.)
- Huntington's Trust Biz Slides 21% in Q1
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:03:00 EDT
The decline was primarily due to the sale of the bank's propriety mutual fund business in the fourth quarter of 2015.
- Make Your Service Worth the Fees: Advisor Q&A
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 09:51:00 EDT
Advisor Kevin McDermott shares his opinions on the biggest mistakes he sees from young advisors in the bank channel.
- How to Roll Over an Old 401(k): Retirement Scan
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:47:00 EDT
Retirement savers are advised to consolidate their old 401(k) plans to manage the money more easily and avoid administrative expenses; plus, why Social Security is a women's issue.
- Cost Controls Boost Wealth Profits 10% at Raymond James
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:43:00 EDT
Client assets also rose 3% at the fast-growing firm, which reported quarterly earnings on Wednesday.
- When Disclosure Leads to Dishonesty
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 16:40:00 EDT
Humans have the tendency to lie in some fashion more frequently than we may like to admit, a behavioral scientist told IMCA conference attendees.
- Cetera Recruiting Comeback: Beleaguered IBD Lands $200M RIA
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 16:24:00 EDT
Cetera is the "best answer" for future growth, says Empire Asset Management Group.
- Ex-Wells Fargo Advisor Expelled from Industry
published on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 16:26:00 EDT
The advisor was banished for refusing to cooperate with a FINRA investigation into wire activity in the advisor's bank account.
- A New Self-Assessment Tool for Advisors
published on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 14:08:00 EDT
Advisors can get a helpful best-practices checklist, which may also help build client relationships, from the Institute for the Fiduciary Standard.
- IRAs Are Great Tools, But They're a Little Unloved: Retirement Scan
published on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:55:00 EDT
Despite the many benefits that IRAs offer, many people do not use them as a retirement saving tool; plus, what parents should know about Social Security.
- DoL Rule Will Boost Profession: American College
published on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 17:00:00 EDT
The rule could "very much professionalize an industry that very much needs it," says Robert Johnson, president of the planning school.
- Will Fiduciary Rule Spur New Lawsuits Against Advisors?
published on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 18:22:00 EDT
Expanded scope for litigation is a cause for concern among wealth management firms, experts say.
- Why Clients Should Want to Pay Your Fees
published on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 17:51:00 EDT
Advisors should report their performance in a way that articulates value and proves they are worth the expense, says Dynasty Partners CIO Scott Welch.
- Raymond James Hires $110M Wirehouse Team
published on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 17:33:00 EDT
The new recruits joined the firm from Morgan Stanley, where they previously generated almost $1 million in annual revenue, according to Raymond James.
- Wealth Profits Drop 8% at Morgan, Despite Growth in Lending
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:35:00 EDT
Management blamed falling profits on weak markets and "muted client activity."
- $125M UBS Team Joins HighTower
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:38:00 EDT
The wirehouse team launches HighTower's third practice this year.
- Morgan Lands Teams with $850M in Combined AUM
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 13:15:00 EDT
The wirehouse hires recruits from Credit Suisse and Merrill Lynch.
- MoneyGuidePro: A New Version Rockets Out of the Gate
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 02:08:00 EDT
Does the newest iteration of a favorite advisor tool stand up to scrutiny? Our tech columnist takes it for a test drive.
- A Tax Shelter for Sports Fans with 500 Hours to Spare
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:38:00 EDT
Why would anyone spend $24 million to buy a 1% stake in the Yankees? For wealthy sports fans, it's cool and can be one heck of a tax shelter.
- Broker Pal of Bow Wow Gets Bitten by CFP Board
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 02:15:00 EDT
Parthemer worked with pro athletes and frequented South Beach clubs with rap stars.
- Merrill Grabs Advisors with $1.5B in Combined AUM
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 18:22:00 EDT
Advisors from Morgan Stanley and UBS leave to join Merrill.
- Retirees Moving to Be Near the Grandkids: Retirement Scan
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 15:56:00 EDT
A number of seniors opt to relocate in retirement to live closer to their adult children and grandchildren; plus, three ETFs to fund a happy retirement.
- D.A. Davidson Latest B-D to Make M&A Play
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 15:48:00 EDT
The deal also brings $4 billion in client assets under administration and management, according to a spokeswoman.
- KeyBank Broker Suspended for 2 Years, Fined $10K
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 15:28:00 EDT
The broker was reprimanded for lying on a customer's behalf.
- Ex-Advisor Gets 99 Months in Prison for Fraud
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:56:00 EDT
Michael Donnelly was sentenced for defrauding elderly clients of about $2 million, which he used to make car payments, pay his children's private school tuition and other expenses.
- FiNet President: Recruitment 'Pipeline' Bigger Than Ever
published on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 15:19:00 EDT
"We've got great momentum," says Wells Fargo Advisors Financial Network president Kent Christian.
- This is How Much Student Debt Will Cost in Retirement: Retirement Scan
published on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 17:49:00 EDT
It doesn't necessarily make sense to pay off student loans early if that means foregoing saving for retirement; plus, how the life-expectancy gap between rich and poor skews Social Security.